Sunday, March 25, 2012

PROJECT1









Rationale

The jellyfish inspires this design. From the research of jellyfish, they have a basic body structure, and they are not even vertebrates. The Jellyfish body consist of over 95% water; most of their umbrella mass is a gelatinous material. This causes when jellyfish come out of water, they become flat. According to jellyfish’s nature character, I am thinking that I can design something in order to solving the problem of lack space. Also, base on the shape of the jellyfish, it looks like a container and a strainer. Therefore, I am start thinking that I should make this container soft enough to fold, also is hard enough to be a container. Then I started with some sketches about how the container looks like. Then when I get a general idea of it, I decided to research material. Polypropylene ropes, which is cheap, strong, unaffected by water, and safe for food. Then I was working with lots of mock-ups, because this material, you cannot draw the sketches to show actually how it will looks like. The way of knitting this, I basically follow the structure of jellyfish itself. Moreover, this design also can be a basket strainer. The way of knitting those squares around the side is helping people to hold it and filter for water. 


5 comments:

  1. At first sight I thought the concept was a little weird but it certainly has started to grown me and as it stretches I can see the resemblance to a jellyfish, good job! However, wouldnt this the material be a little hard to clean? A more solid material like plastic or metal could be an alternative?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I accept what ricky comments above. your product is not only mimicried jellyfish shape, but also its behavior and form. And you are using the knowledge from the material course. Great choice of using polypropylene ropes. However, wouldnt the form of you design is to simple? or you may design the bigger size that users can fold in different to storage fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your storage system looks very beautiful and neat. The material polypropylene ropes you use is also very interesting. I think you could choose hard materials to be the base instead of soft materials.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really clever idea, and the use of polypropylene rope is something i wouldn't have thought to use. I like the idea of the container being soft but also hard enough to hold items. I do agree with the previous comments about it might be difficult to clean, but i wouldn't change the material as i find that the best part of the design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well done..i can see you put alot of effort in making those. for improvement i would suggest to make the 'wall' of the storage higher or to change the material to something harder so when you put alot of fruits the wouldnt run from the bowl..cos from what i see the fruit itself is harder and stronger than the bowl..otherwise great job!

    ReplyDelete